Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Sleep Issues

Michael is taking the day off of work but we have his 6-month check up with the neurologist early this morning. He has done really well with the anti-seizure meds and eating properly to control his blood sugar. Hopefully, the doctor will consider taking him off the drugs.

It was wonderful to return to the pulmonary rehab class yesterday. I had missed three classes, there were two new people present and I had lots of chats and laughs. One of the nice guys, who lost his wife several years ago, is only in his late 60s and very lonely. Because he requires oxygen 24/7, he struggles with being mobile. With all that, he has depression and anxiety issues. Yesterday was the first time we talked about it all.

He has been having an issue with not being able to sleep at night, will then sleep during the day and just feels like doing nothing. Not good. It is a downward spiral.

I shared with him that I need the TV on at night so my mind won't start going to the negatives and worries if I wake up. I can watch some benign program and drift back to sleep. We also talked about melatonin. It is how I get to sleep. Remembering that I had an unopened bottle at home and could bring it to class on Thursday, I offered to give it to him to see if it helped him sleep.

He told me that it was nice to hear that other people also had the same issues.

And isn't that an important part of going to the rehab class? Learning from each other. Supporting each other. Being with people who understand.

No comments: