Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Life Returns to Normal

It's really quiet around here. Back to our routines. Back to eating properly. I think that during he visit,  it was the first time that William saw me as a person, not only a mom. It was difficult to say goodbye and to let him go back into the world.

I had not seen my mom since last Thursday so we got caught up on each other's lives. My cupboards were bare so we went by the butcher's and Trader Joe's before I ran through Safeway on the way home. I made simple food for dinner and will spend this morning cooking breakfast for the week and a special lunch for me. I like having food prepared and ready without having to think about what to eat. Later this morning, the fog should lift and the ocean trail is calling to me. A day off.

While I waited for mom outside the restaurant after lunch, I bumped into a women I had not seen in five years. Linda was the sister-in-law of one of my oldest friends, Cynthia. As she still works at the school where I got sick, her life is very busy so Cynthia and I have not seen much of each other.  We met when William was in kindergarten and her son Alexi was in third grade. He was a brilliant kid. His dad is a rocket scientist. Really.

Alexi was a kid who loved the very first Apple computers and would have his letters published in their magazine when he would discover a preciously unknown function. He ended up at the school where I got sick, a very fancy college then his first job at the Mothership. He has been there for years and is high up in the food chain. He met and fell in love with a woman at the fancy college. After many years, she became pregnant but miscarried. They were devastated. That was the last I had heard. Well yesterday, Linda shared a photo of their 4-month old little boy. Cynthia is a grandmother! I am so thrilled for her. I also learned that Alexi and his wife had three other miscarriages. That is rough. My heart broke for his wife when Linda quoted her that she was never able to met those four souls. But, it was wonderful to hear about their lives and that all was well.

No comments: