Sunday, November 22, 2015

Liver Advice

When I saw the liver doctor last week, he asked about my general health and my workouts. I told him about the earlier hip problem that had repaired with the help of physical therapy and also about the recent bouts of sciatica down both legs. He was amazed when I told him I discovered if I could walk and move in the morning, the pain would be gone for the day.

In those early morning struggles with pain, I told him that his words whispered in my ear that I should avoid all over the counter pain relievers like ibuprofen. My poor liver has so much work to do processing all my medications, especially the prednisone, it is best to avoid adding anything to the mix. It is also why I am so happy I have never had a habit of having cocktails or wine as it would be yet another thing I would have to give up.

He smiled and said, "If you have to take something on a rare occasion, that would be fine." But then he smiled a very "I am proud of you" smile for remembering his advice and not falling to the pain relievers. I must say that I am careful but the pain is gone. I do not sleep on my right side anymore, I try to stay on my back all night and I learned to ease out of bed in the morning, just to be sure everything is working properly.

So far, so good.

It is Sunday. We are putting the top down and driving the ridge run with views of both the Bay Area (and Silicon Valley) and the ocean. A gorgeous drive through the redwoods. We'll work our way south for some early lunch before heading home up the coast highway. It is warm today, a nice breeze but it is going to turn to cold and rain the next few days. Today may be the last vestiges of summer.

No comments: