Sunday, November 13, 2016

A Blast from the Past

I got a notice on Facebook from a person from our past. Just before we were married, we rented a house in a nearby town and a nice couple moved in across the street. They were older than us and the woman brought two kids with her into her second marriage. We all became friends, hung out together, made Saturday night dinners we shared and all was well until we moved to our current town. She did not like the road along the ocean as it was too scary. We never saw them here but, for a few years, we would drop in on occasion. It has been years. The daughter was with her mom the other day and found me on Facebook. She is now grown and a grandmother (!) and she shared that her mom and step-dad had recently separated. Memories! We will be phoning her mom this morning to get caught up. Thank you, Facebook!

It was a great concert yesterday afternoon. Every seat was filled, which surprised me greatly. It was a gorgeous day, tourist traffic was horrendous and I expected most people would be elsewhere. There were people there I hadn't seen in years. Our group ended the program and I didn't get home until 5:30PM. It was a long day but I so enjoyed listening to four other small ensembles perform at an extremely high level. Just filled my soul.

Michael greeted me at the door with British Don's Torchon of Foie Gras he made for my birthday. I think it was pure fat. Delicious and just melted in my mouth. Then, we had leftovers of Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps with a homemade peanut sauce. I must admit I was in bed by 7:30 and asleep within minutes.

My goal today is to cut back the hydrangeas, the growth coming over our back fence and the Meyer's lemon bush. I haven't worked in the gardens in several weeks as Michael has been cutting the grass and watering the pots for me. My fingers are itching to get back to work.

Next week: lots of rehearsals (3), a doctor appointment (dermatology), a Board Meeting at my university hospital (1), a dentist appointment in town for mom (1) and a late Friday financial appointment here in town also for mom. Instead of fighting Friday night traffic, we will stay here on the coast, take mom to dinner at a cool place just up the street and drive her home later. She doesn't know our plans yet.

No comments: