Thursday, May 25, 2017

Trust. Done.

I felt off balance, mentally, all day yesterday. Maybe there was too much on my mind. We began the day in a lawyer's office signing all the papers for the trust, wills, medical health care directive and medical power of attorney. It took some time. Since the holiday weekend is quickly approaching, I wanted to get groceries in the house. Butcher, Trader Joe's, Safeway, Organic Market. Even with the bum knee, I was able to haul everything into the house all by myself for the first time in a while.

After signing all the trust papers, I have to transfer all my investments into the company in town who has done so well with my mom's investments. The new account will be set up as part of the new trust. Also, the paperwork at the bank on all of our checking and saving accounts need to be updated to be included in the trust.

I have been wanting to get this paperwork done and everything formally in place for years. It was such a shock to find out how simple it was and am kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Walking out of the lawyer's office, I felt a great weight lifted from my shoulders.

My knee. I phoned my university hospital orthopedic clinic with fingers crossed. I knew that I needed a referral to make an appointment but we know that my primary doctor refused to give me a referral, as she said I can do it myself.

I spoke with the most delightful human. I explained my situation. There was a pause. Name? Insurance? Yes, I see you were here. I see the X-rays taken in the ED. Then the magical words, "I have an opening next Wednesday." BINGO! She understood the problem, felt badly for me, saw that I had been seen for my knee at their ED, saw that I had been seen in their clinic before and I had all the proper insurance. She took pity on me! I thanked her profusely. I will be in good hands.

My friend Christien is coming for a visit in a couple of weeks. She moved from California to No. Carolina several years ago and we have visited her home three times. She will be flying through SFO on her way home after her niece's graduation in Washington State. It will be fun for her to drive by her former house, the school where we met and to enjoy the cool coastside weather. She was under tornado watch yesterday.

This morning, I am seeing my uber cool jazz pianist glaucoma doctor to check my pressures before I head to the rehab class. My knee felt so much better after the workout on Tuesday so I hope that trend continues today.

No comments: