Living Well with a Bad Diagnosis - Lung Disease

Saturday, June 24, 2017

New Strange Diagnosis

You will not believe what happened yesterday. The PA at my new primary doctor's office phoned to share the results of the X-ray of my hand. Was there a rose thorn present? Was it a ganglia? Was it nothing?

It was gout. Yes, gout on my finger. Thankfully, it is not in the joint but on the surface. It also explains the painful bunion I have been dealing with for a while. It is not a bunion, it is gout in my toe joint!

I have gout! I eat the most specific diet to keep the 100+ weight lose at bay of 3-4 ounces of protein and non-starchy veggies. That is all I can eat. No fruit. No starchy veggies. No pastas or grains. No alcohol. And now I have to adjust my very limited choices of food to adjust for gout.

No meat including bacon, beef, pork and lamb. No sardines or scallops. But, I can have some fish and seafood occasionally. The above is pretty much what I eat. How much chicken can I stand before being sick of it?

Next Tuesday before the rehab class, I am going to the lab at the hospital for a blood test of my uric acid level. If it is high, my new primary doctors will refer me to a rheumatologist at my university hospital. I hope this is not a sign of an even larger problem or disease.

This diagnosis totally surprised me and I was in shock all day. Gout?!? I eat so well! I don't overeat! I follow a strict diet! My next appointment with the nutritionist is going to be interesting!

No comments: