Saturday, August 26, 2017

Ready for Company

 I love predawn. Dark but with just a hint of a new day. A slow lightening of the sky against the shadows of the hills and trees. Quiet. Peaceful. The hope of the new day and the continuation of life. Today is a special day as we are welcoming my niece Shelley and her wonderful husband Russ for the weekend. They were just married in May and it is a rare event that we have them to ourselves. She just was given a huge promotion so I can't wait to hear all the details!

Skinny jeans. I discovered them earlier in the year and now my baggy cords seem old-fashioned. The summer was fine with my white skinny jeans but winter is coming. Mom and I went to Nordstrom yesterday and found one pair of black jeans and two pairs in a lighter fabric in brown and a dark green. All skinny jeans. All at a really good price!

After I got home, I worked in the kitchen for three hours preparing as much food for today as possible so I don't even have to think about making anything. I can enjoy our guests. Scotch Eggs, slices strawberries, butter with onions and German mustard for the Ham & Cheese Baked Open-Faced Sandwiches for lunch, and the Fruit and Cheese Pizza (see photo). All done and waiting in the refrigerator. We made dinner reservations at the seafood restaurant near our house right on the harbor.

I hope to still fit into my new skinny jeans by the end of the weekend!

The upside of shopping and being on my feet cooking all afternoon was that I slept really well last night. I have been in a pattern of sleeping for five hours then awake for over two hours then a bit more sleep before we have to begin our day. I often feel as if I need a nap and, if home, I will suddenly fall asleep sitting up on the couch, usually in the morning. Thankfully, I am filled with energy this morning. It is amazing what a good night's sleep with do.

No comments: