Friday, November 17, 2017

Endo prep

As scheduled, the anesthesiologist and I connected regarding next week's endoscopy. What a well-oiled machine! It did not take very long, we reviewed my medications and over the counter drugs, I told her about my problem with general anesthesia, allergy to latex, my low blood pressure, severe lung disease, blood transfusion when William was born and my supplemental oxygen needs.

She then emailed a five page document of our discussion, which also included helpful hints like no jewelry or makeup the day of the endoscopy. Also, it listed the drugs and vitamins I needed to stop immediately and the ones I cannot take the morning of the procedure. Immediately? No vitamin E, Omega 3 fish oils, melatonin and Ostro Bi-flex. The morning of the surgery? No Miralax (for my UTIs) or spironolactone. I was also instructed to bring my inhaler.

At the end of the conversation, I asked if the assigned anesthesiologist would be prepared and experienced to deal with all the issues of my advanced lung disease. She told me that I would be meeting the anesthesiologist that morning and could ask any questions directly to him/her at that time. It was then that I told her that I was not as nervous about this procedure but more concerned about an upcoming surgery to fix the problem that would be revealed during Tuesday's test.

"My family and I are very sensitive about anesthesiology issues because 20-years ago yesterday, my dad died after elective same day surgery. The problem was with the anesthesia. My mom is very concerned and she doesn't want to lose me, too" She paused then responded, "I understand."

What I hope that meant was that I will be assigned a more seasoned anesthesiologist and maybe a notation on my file for the next, more difficult surgery. Fingers crossed.

No comments: