Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Sad Goodbye

Step one happened yesterday afternoon. I phoned the surgeon's assistant, left a message and received a return call from a colleague. She said that she would be speaking with the assistant today and would pass along my message. I told her that I noticed that I am scheduled for some kind of procedure on December 23, as I received a message to view a video about anesthesia again. I just wanted to know what was the procedure and what was the findings of the stomach biopsy?

She was amazed that I knew so much and told me that I would hear from the assistant today or Thursday. We will see.

December 23. A bit close to December 26 when we are scheduled to leave for our four days in Palm Springs, an eight-hour car trip from our house. Will I even be out of the hospital? Can the procedure be done endoscopically as the surgeon once suggested? That would be fantastic as I would be home that evening.

If I am not feeling well enough to take the chance for a road trip, I will send Michael and William without me.

Other news: I was saddened to be told by the RN at rehab class that my friend Richard had died. What a man. I wish I could write all the stories he shared with me. Having personally known so many famous people at the school where I got sick, no one was more interesting and intriguing that this gentle, 77-year old Texan.

He was very connected in Washington, worked for the State Department at one point, was a professor at several universities and began life on a ranch in an area of Texas that was founded by his German ancestors. He arrived to grade school knowing no English. He shared that, as a younger man, he flew his plane through the Gateway Arch in St. Louis and since it was daytime, people reported his plane numbers and his license was pulled. It took many years and a lot of hoops to get it back. He still was flying his 23-seat plane, the last trip was cross country over a year ago.

Sherman and I learned to be quiet when he would begin to speak. As he would pause, we would put our fingers on our mouths so we could not speak. If we waited long enough, Richard would continue and he would become even more interesting. I learned that just this year, he gave testimony and answered seven hours of questions to a closed door, very important committee in DC. Realizing he was far more that a simple professor, I began a search on the Internet. Nothing. It was if he never existed. I will never find out. For me, he was the most interesting person I have ever had the pleasure to meet. I will deeply miss him.

No comments: