Saturday, December 23, 2017

Conversation

What a day! I fell into bed last night and passed out! Mom and I worked on her new Jitterbug and I was able to show her all the other fun apps on the phone. She was also having computer problems but I realized it was her and not the computer! We went step by step and I think she was feeling better about one of her problems. After a few errands, we went to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch. It was a zoo! Our table overlooked an entrance to the mall and the line of cars was endless.

While mom was in the bathroom and I was waiting for our table, a couple walked in with a clearly unhappy 5-year old in tow. He was clinging to mom's legs and dad crouched down to his level to chat about the expectations of his behavior. He wanted to shop. He wanted to play. He wanted to do anything but sit in a restaurant and eat. He became to be vocal and the mom glanced over to me. I smiled and while she held him, I said, "I remember this! He is now 36-years old and I still remember doing this! Every mom in this place remembers this so don't think we are judging you, we have empathy for you!"

She immediately seemed to relax, smiled and thanked me. The dad began telling me about their two other teen-aged children and that they were older parents. He told me that this little kid was one strong person and hard to raise. I smiled at him and said, "I understand more than you know. I was that child. The secret is to put his behavior in his hands as early as he is able to handle it. I will bet that he will never do what he is TOLD to do and sometimes a gentle suggestion is all that it took for me."

The father paused and replied that other relatives had also said something similar to them.

Just then mom returned, he turned and said, "Your daughter was just telling us how delightful her mother is." So sweet. Just then my name was called and we wished each other a Merry Christmas.

I hope bumping into each other helped and maybe, just maybe the dad will reconsider his parenting style for this child.

After getting home, I had a delightful phone conversation with a dear friend. It was lovely to hear her voice and to get an update of her life. A very nice gift.

Then, the madness began. I made a huge pot of homemade applesauce and let it rest while we went out to dinner just up the road. Back at the house, I smashed the cooked apples but left some small chunks. Done. Next, the fudge for the neighbors. I needed enough for seven households so I made three pans. Michael loved watching and, at the end, finally got to lick the bowl! Done!

While all this was going on, the Wi-Fi kept going in and out while I was trying to sign the contract for the Air B&B. Then, I discovered I needed a cashier's check so BOOM, off to the bank in the middle of traffic madness. On the way home, I received a message from the owner saying the dates on the contract were wrong and that it will be voided and a new one sent. I waited until I went to bed. No contract. This morning, it was in my inbox. It is now signed, sealed and delivered!

Today, it is dust and vacuum day! Then, I am making an old-fashioned Gingerbread Cake to serve on Christmas Eve and also take to Palm Springs with us. Also, I will continue to place clothes and other items in the guest room. I almost forgot to set out the portable oxygen system! Oh my! That would have been bad! We are also having appetizers at Rick and Natalie's tonight. Mike and Lisa invited us for cocktails tomorrow with their grown children. They wanted our children to meet. 'Tis the season.

William arrives tomorrow.

No comments: