Thursday, January 4, 2018

Shaking

Earthquake! The bed began to shake around 2:40 this morning and ended with a good jolt. It was a 4.4 quake near Berkeley, across the bay. It was on the Hayward Fault, named as it runs right through the heart of Hayward. The problem is that the designers of the city erased the fault on their blueprints and built the new city right on top of it! Ignored the fault. We live on the west side of the famous San Andreas Fault, which runs through SF. In several million years, we will break off and drift north with the currents to Alaska and beyond.

Yesterday was my day off and I never left the house. I started at the back of the house and worked my way to the Christmas tree. Each room, I gathered and removed Christmas so it was all together in one area ready to be packed away. Finally, the tree. I was able to do everything myself except take down the fake tree itself. Michael took care of it later in the afternoon then removed all the exterior Christmas lights and, for extra bonus points, he put everything up into the attic.

The house kind of looks a bit naked.

Rehab class today!

My focus is on tomorrow. Michael will be driving mom to her eye clinic for her macular degeneration shot while I drive up into the city for the appointment with the interstitial lung disease doctor. Dr. C. and I have a long history together. He is totally about research, sits on several boards and stands about 6'7" tall. We met when he asked for a piece of my lung for research right before my biopsy in 2005. I have given formal speeches during his continuing education classes and we often bump into each other in a lunch line.

He knows me. He will be honest with me. That is all I ask. We are meeting to see if he has other ideas regarding the Nissen re-do and its horrible fatality rate. Will the surgery spur my ILD into overdrive then require emergency lung transplants? After our meeting, I will swing by the gastroenterologist to see if I can set up a meeting either in person or phone. Gathering data.

No comments: