Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Aerobika

Here it is. My newest device to help move the air in the lowest part of my lungs. Hopefully, it will clear the fluids out of there along with any bacteria that can cause infections, i.e. bronchitis and pneumonia. I met with Lori, the respiratory therapist in my rehab program, before class yesterday. Apparently, this is a relatively new device, which she had distributed to all the patients in the hospital who had lung issues. She said it is the "newest and best."

She demonstrated how to set the device and that I should use it when I felt I needed it rather than any specific time everyday. For example, in the mornings after lying in bed all night. She also warned me that she actually gets dizzy and that I should be seated when I use it.

It is important to have a good seal on the mouthpiece and to blow so it is felt in the chest. It was a strange sensation. It actually felt pretty good and I can understand how it would help clear the airways. She also told me to remember to do three good huff coughs to clear any mucus after using the device.

It is important to wash it, specifically the mouthpiece, but the entire device is dishwasher safe.

Again, check it out online and ask your doctor if this is something you should consider.

No comments: