Monday, April 9, 2018

Parking Towards Independence

Not all disabled people limp. It seems that most of the public population assumes that if you have a disability placard, it should be an obvious need. Forget people dealing with serious heart or lung issues!

Feeling guilty using the disability parking spots? When Dr. K. insisted I get a disability placard, I used to feel guilty using it as there were plenty of "more disabled" people who might need the parking space. Through the rehab class, I learned that every time I parked closer to where I needed to go, I saved myself energy nuggets to be gathered throughout the day and used for maybe another activity of daily living. I was skeptical but it really worked well. With working out in class two days a week, I quickly discovered that I could begin to add one activity of daily living. After several months, I was able to go food shopping alone for the first time. Freedom! Independence! It took a bit longer to be able to load the groceries into the car and walk them into the house but, I did it.

The problem is that people judge how you walk and deal with things when you use a disability parking spot. Since lungs are not visible, my disability is not obvious. Through the years, I have been confronted by only two aggressive older men demanding to know why I was parking in the disability zone.

I am prepared and ready for anyone who wants to challenge me as I am taking a different approach. I could choose to be angry and tell them it is none of their business or I can teach them. As a former teacher, I always choose the latter. I will start with my beginning symptoms and all the doctor appointments and can really drag out the story for an hour. They will never last that long but eventually they get the idea that, yes, I really do need the disability placard. I hope they learn to never challenge another disabled person again.

To all the disabled people out there, remember to keep a copy of your disability placard paperwork from the State in your glove box as any police officer can demand to see it.

To those of you who wonder why someone is using a placard because they look and move normally, it is okay to call the police. There are people out there using stolen placard or ones that were issued to someone who had since passed away. Cheaters.

Bottom line for people with lung diseases? Park in the disability spot, hold you head high, gather your energy nuggets for more activities of daily living which will keep you moving toward re-gaining and keeping your independence. Independence. That really is the bottom line.

No comments: