Monday, April 2, 2018

Re-Focused Blog

The new blog! Re-focus. Living Well with a Bad Diagnosis.

I have learned so much since being diagnosed with Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis in January of 2005. One can choose how to deal with a bad diagnosis. The choice is ours to make.

Do you learn everything you can about the illness? Do you work with the doctor as a partner in you care? Do you know your medications, what each pill is for and take them exactly on time every day? Do you keep track of your pulmonary function test numbers? Do you join a pulmonary rehab program?

Or, do you deny that there is a problem because you don't feel any different? Do you feel frightened for the future? Do you feel vulnerable? Do you find it hard to get out of bed? Do you decide to give up because there is no hope?

Believe me, I have worked with people from both categories. I try to offer hope in the form of diet and exercise. Consistent daily exercise is the reason I am still alive and functioning with horrible PFT numbers but without the need of supplemental oxygen 24/7. Beginning in October 2005, I began pulmonary rehab at a local hospital, discovered that a gym at a sister hospital was free to members, got approval from my doctor and began working out five days a week for over eleven years. One the sixth day, I worked 3-6 hours in my gardens and on the seventh day, I rested.

I did it because it made me feel so much better and able to increase my activities of daily living. The side effect was that I have a fantastic heart, which was recently tested for the lung transplant clinic. All functions are normal, which is very unusual for a person with a long-term lung disease. Usually there are issues due to oxygen deprivation.

So, the choice is yours. Will you choose to live well with a bad diagnosis or choose to throw in the towel and wait to die?

No comments: