Friday, April 27, 2018

Video Appointments




Every once in a while, a new technology, 
an old problem, and a big idea turn into an innovation. 
Dean Kamen




With a deep breath and a sigh, I hugged Jeannie goodbye as I left my final rehab class yesterday. It felt odd to drive home alone but Michael was waiting for me. After changing out of my gym clothes, we drove into the city for the PFAC meeting at my university hospital.

It was another good one with lots of questions from our three guests from the administration and, heaven knows, we had lots of opinions. All I can say is that hospitals are struggling to find ways to digitize some of the patient's experiences. For example: follow up questions instead of appointments or video appointments or emails and even text messages. What is appropriate? What is not appropriate? It was an interesting discussion.

Later in June, I will have my first video appointment with my liver doctor. It is just a check-in but it will save a trip into the city, no parking fees and should just take minutes. At the meeting last night, we realized that I would be the first one in the group to experience this new technology. They are looking forward to hearing about all the details in our next meeting.

During the meeting, my mind went to the geriatric patients who find it difficult to leave their homes for doctor appointments where the caretakers are often questioned more than the patients. A video appointment really makes sense. I also thought that the millenniums would probably love the idea of staying at home or work and seeing a doctor via video.

Technology! The world is changing!

No comments: