Sunday, February 23, 2014

Susan's Memorial Service


Tough day ahead. The beautiful Susan's memorial service is at 1:00 in the city. They are expecting over 100 people but I think that is a very low estimate. When Susan retired in April, she did not tell her co-workers that she was ill. They thought she was retiring and was riding off into the sunset. She died in January.

She was the gentlest, kindest person I have ever met. There was always an air of calmness surrounding her. Visiting, she was horrified when I killed a housefly that had been driving me crazy for two days. She encouraged me to practice yoga. To live in the present.

During our last lunch together, she laughed and shook her head at me when I was telling her about the plans for my memorial service. I said that I would be lucky to have ten people attend! Since producing over 100 performances a year, I wanted to my service to be my last production. She told me she had not even thought about what she wanted. Just two months later, today is the day. I know her husband and boys have put together an amazing tribute to her.

My purse will be packed with Kleenex and Michael made a date to have coffee afterwards with British Don. That was actually was brilliant. It will give me time to recover, talk about her with Don and take a deep breath before coming home. To our life. I am grateful for every moment.

No comments: