Thursday, October 27, 2011

Results of Recent PFTs and HRCT Scan

HRCT Scan of Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis with "ground glass"
On Tuesday afternoon, I met with Dr. K. to review all my tests. The results were amazing.

I have gained 200ccs in vital lung capacity and my DLCO (diffusion) is the highest level ever – just under 14 after an adjustment for hemoglobin. It was 11 during the last test.

She also said that my HRCT Scan has not changed since 2008, that is almost 4 years. That alone is remarkable.

What was even more interesting is that she feels that I can be weaned off of supplemental oxygen. She asked that when I am off of oxygen during rehab, that the RNs contact her so she can arrange to have my saturation levels checked while I am sleeping.

Wouldn’t it be marvelous not to need oxygen when we travel? Or to sleep? Or to exercise? I never thought I would be without it again. Fingers crossed that it actually happens.


My medical biologist friend Lois just sent this in an e-mail: 
All your hard work with rehab and exercise and losing the weight is really paying off.  Recently, I read a review article in Science on autophagy, a process of recycling damaged materials, proteins and lipids and DNA, from mitochondria. This is greatly stimulated by exercise and caloric reduction.  So what you have been doing has a mechanistic explanation.

I feel great. Everything is going well but this time of year can be off putting. Staying healthy is the goal so I don’t lose any of the recent gains.

No comments: