Thursday, October 20, 2011

Stay Well


I am breathing so well. It is fall. Cooler. Cleaner air. Lower humidity. I find myself doing things that I have not done in years. A week ago, I did all the yard work without oxygen. About halfway through, I realized it and was even more surprised that I was working hard and not short of breath.

But, all of us who are struggling with lung disease need to be careful. We are entering cold and flu season, both of which can make us very ill or even kill us. Now is the time to wash our hands a lot, get a flu shot, begin to take extra vitamin C, have a few packages of Airborne on hand for the first signs of trouble and the secret weapon against colds - Vick's Vapor Rub. At the first tickle in the throat or sneeze, for two nights just before bedtime, rub some of it onto the bottom of the feet, encase them in socks and it seems to stop a cold from taking hold.

Spouses also need to stay healthy so they don't bring illness into the household.

In rehab, so many of the people who have an obstructive lung diseases like COPD fear this time of year. They have problems with bronchitis and even pneumonia. Several told me that every year they ends up in the hospital with one or the other.

So please take care. Stay away from large crowds of people. Take vitimins. Don't shake hands. Wash hands often. Stay well.

No comments: