Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Diet Drinks

On the music faculty of the school where I got sick, there was a very famous, Julliard graduated pianist. He was accepted into their program as a young teenager and had a stellar career.

But, he did not take care of himself. All he would have during his long days of teaching was liter after liter of Diet Coke. Students would bring them as gifts. He was known for this habit.

While preparing for a concert in front of a famous orchestra back east, his arm suddenly went numb. The concert was cancelled. He flew home for tests. It was discovered that he had a cancerous brain tumor, which had already spread to the rest of his body. He passed away just over a year later.

I always wondered if the huge ingestion of diet drinks was in any way related to the cancer.

I gave up soda including diet soft drinks when I was diagnosed with my lung disease. I used to drink one with lunch at work. In the news last week, there was a huge story about the possible connection to heart and brain problems in people who drink diet soft drinks everyday.

Something to consider.

No comments: