Thursday, March 26, 2020

Just Checking In

It started with a friend who was a parent at the school where I got sick. She checked in with me from the very beginning of my disease to now and has helped me through the entire process. Recently, through the horrible times during the Christmas holiday while mom and I were both in separate hospitals, she was there. She was where I went when I needed a moment to step back from all the hourly needs, stresses and uncertainty with mom through hospitalizations, rehab centers and assisted living environments for a quiet lunch and always interesting conversation. My oasis.

She is worried about me and has offered to do everything from helping my mom to delivering anything I need. I am feeling so blessed to have her in my life. Always positive comments. Always totally understands.

During the past two weeks, I have been reduced to tears several times because of either a phone call or email or text. People have been contacting me to offer everything from delivering take-out dinner to just connecting to see if I am still well. Each knocked my feet out from under me. Each was so unexpected and so endearing.

All the wonderful neighbors at our end of the cul-de-sac has offered everything I could ever need. If I need help, I will turn to them. Also, Rick or Natalie either calls or emails every couple of day.

A dear friend since our boys were in kindergarten together phoned to tell me that her son wanted me to know if I needed anything over the hill, he would pick it up and deliver it on his way home from his teaching job.

Barbara checks in often. She and John are well and being careful.

The women who work in my glaucoma doctor's office said they had been thinking about me for a couple of weeks and finally decided to phone to see if I was okay. They really got to me.

A very wonderful woman from a local business phoned as she had been worried about me.

Janet from rehab class text to check in. Her family is well and safe but was worried about me.

The latest one was from my friend in North Carolina. Her daughter, one of my former students who now lives in Dublin, Ireland, phoned her mom and told her to let me know that she was thinking about me and hoped that I was well.

All this outpouring of love and attention is so lovely but I feel a bit unworthy of all the attention. We are following the rules. We are staying home, except for a weekly visit with my mom. Masked, in her room only, I feel fairly safe. Lots of gel in the car and washing hands after I get home makes me feel better. I brought lots of goodies to her today from chocolate to magazines to keep her busy and happy for another week. I know she is lonely.

Thank you if you are someone who is checking in with a friend or relative who is at risk. Thank you for taking care of yourself and them by staying home. We'll get through this but I think we will appreciate the little in life again. Toilet paper, gel, paper towels...

No comments: