Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Shelter-In-Place

We are ground zero for fighting this Coronavirus. The five Bay Area counties are under a "shelter-in-place" order. Everyone, not just the elderly, is expected to stay inside their homes except for food shopping or other true necessities. I was told to expect to be pulled over by the police and asked why I was driving. People will be charged with misdemeanors if they are found to be disobeying this order.

This morning, the plan was to pick mom and her aide up at the assisted living place and drive them for a day of cleaning and organizing in her apartment. There were no cars on the road. Oddly, there were many people taking walks but they all were the required six-feet apart from each other.

Mom knew nothing of these new orders. It was my job to break it to her that her hair appointment tomorrow was probably cancelled for a couple of weeks. Mom is all about her hair and she thought it WAS an essential service! She then laughed!

Thankfully, I did not get stopped but I did take a road less traveled between the two houses. Michael will drive them back this afternoon before coming home to me.

After I dropped them off, I went by her beauty salon and, yes, they were closed and will continue to be closed for the next two weeks.

Michael and I will be together in this house until next Monday when I visit mom. It will be nice to spend so much time together. I may even give him a cooking lesson or two!

We are living in such unusual times.

Stay well.

No comments: