Friday, February 2, 2024

ROUGH DAY

Dear Reader, you may remember when I wrote about the pre-transplant doctor telling me the importance of the patient having enough grit to get through the process. He remarked that I had the most grit of anyone he had ever met and I replied that he had never met my mother! It is true. At 95-years old, she is one strong woman who continues teaching all of the family life lessons. But yesterday, we finally faced the necessity of her entering into a Hospice program. 

It was a rough day. A sad day.


Mom had a series of strokes six-weeks after I returned home after the transplants in May of 2021 and endured Covid in January of 2022. With Covid, the hospital doctors approved her return to the facility to die but she fought her way back to life. With extremely limited vision, she was walking with the PT and still engaged in life. 


But, it suddenly changed.


Mom began with delusions and obsessions and it grew to her being non-responsive and sleeping 24/7. As a woman who always had her makeup and hair in place everyday, she recently was no longer doing either. Earlier this week, we were have a conversation and I watched as her eyes began to glaze over then closed. She fell asleep. She had made a dramatic downward change since Thanksgiving. I was concerned that my timing may be off but the hospice RN told me with all the changes we noticed, we made a good decision to begin hospice at this time.


Last night, we spent the evening with old friends and I was able to talk about it. They were so supportive and one of them had a similar experience. 


My goal? I so wish to make her as comfortable as possible, that she continues to have no pain and that she passes peacefully.


I had amazing parents. Truly amazing. In my heart, I know they will be together again. 

No comments: