Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Death Themes in Movies and Books


I have always been a reader. I believe that we should all be life long learners and reading is one way to continue with that philosophy. But, I couldn’t read for a few years after the diagnosis, as my mind just couldn’t absorb the words on the page.
Now, I carry a book with me every day to read on the treadmill. I have walked and worked through a lot of books.
What I have discovered is that I cannot read anything dealing with a fatal illness or see a movie with a death theme. It is just a bit too close. I don’t need to read about it or see it.
For some reason, people give me books about death and dying. Others recommend DVDs about the main character dying because “it’s a good movie.” I had a dozen people tell me that I HAD to see “The Bucket List.” Thank you but no thanks. Nor will I be seeing “The Road” anytime soon!
I’ll stick to comedies and light fiction. I always can use a good laugh!
Next: Nose Surgery

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a truely amazing person, with an amazing husband, Mom and family.