Sunday, November 22, 2009

I Give Up


That’s it. I give up.

A relative, whom shall remain nameless, has horrible asthma, yearly bouts of bronchitis resulting in hospitalizations, diminished lung capacity, is stubborn as a mule and knows it.

I love her.

I hear her struggling to breathe, she does not breathe well while sleeping at night, and she deals with horrible phlegm. I have tried to talk her into pulmonary rehab as I am convinced she needs supplemental oxygen. When I tested her with my meter, she was low.

After I told her about rehab, she took water aerobics instead. I mentioned that people with lung disease should not be in hot tubs or swimming pools due to the bacteria in the water vapor getting into the lungs. (I learned that in rehab.)

After doing the water aerobics, she then hired a personal trainer. I asked if he was trained to work with people with lung disease? Does he know how to check her saturation levels so he doesn’t hurt her heart or cause her to have a heart attack or stoke?

I told her that she will have more energy, great muscles, learn about lung disease and can take control of her breathing if she joined a rehab program.

With a nudge from me, her daughter looked into rehab programs in their area. She begged her mom to at least check them out. She refused.

She said she did not want to face the fact that she needs oxygen.

I am watching her deplete.

I give up.

I still love her.

Next: Managing a Busy Week

No comments: