Friday, November 13, 2009

Nasty Comment and Other Thoughts

This is a CT Scan of a person with Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis. The dark area should be totally black.
This is what "ground glass" looks like. Small lungs. The white areas are organs.

Strangers say the oddest things to me. Getting onto the elevator after rehab, I was in a sweat and had the oxygen on. A woman got into the elevator at the next stop, looked me up and down and without preamble said, “You shouldn’t have smoked.”

What do you say to that?

The elevator opened to the lobby, I turned to her and said, “Funny thing is, I have never smoked,” as I left the elevator.

During the interview with the insurance company doctor, he found a lesion in my nose. My disease also has a sinus issue and I had a constant drippy nose and nose bleeds. By the time I saw a doctor for the biopsy, it had broken through and I had a hole in the cartilage between my two nostrils.

Meeting the ENT doctor, she asked how much cocaine I had used in the 1980’s. Oh my. I replied that I had a baby in 1981 and was making large house payments through the 80’s so I never had the money or the want for cocaine.

When I was first diagnosed with the lung disease, the resident told me that had I smoked, chemicals in the cigarettes would have killed the antigens and I would not have gotten my disease.

So, I didn’t smoke and got a lung disease and I didn’t use cocaine but have a plastic disk in my nose. How ironic!

Next: Madam Speaker

No comments: