Sunday, June 27, 2010

Leopards at the Beach


Michael has a wonderful eye for design and color. It took me many years to trust his taste. We live in a contemporary style home so I decorated it in 1982 with lots of white carpets, white walls, white everything. It got old. Finally, in the early 1990’s, Michael begged for color. He took over.

There is not one single white wall anywhere in the house. It is a mix of colors from gold to taupe to light blue to greens. He recently announced that he wants to paint the family room red.

Deep breath.

Red. Took me a long time to come around to it.

So, this is how much I trust him now:

He spotted two armless bedroom chairs sitting on a pile of junk, which were clearly from the late 50’s or early 60’s. Classics. He bought them for $100.00, took them to his car upholster and talked him into recovering them.

We went in search of fabric. Remember, I had yet to see the chairs. They were to go into our bedroom. Our bedroom, which features the beach: coral, shells, mother of pearl lamps, paintings of beach scenes, blue linens and sand colored carpet.

The Beach.

He announced that he wanted to cover them in a leopard pattern fabric. Leopard?!? “But, we have a beach themed bedroom!”

His response:

“Leopards like the beach, too!”

I must have laughed for 10 minutes. So, trusting his design eye, we bought some leopard print fabric.


They are finished and arrived this week. I swear to you they look fantastic. I will never question his eye again.

Red family room? Bring it on!

No comments: