Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Imuran vs CellCept

So I have been thinking: My liver is not doing well due to the long term prednisone and Imuran use. As I understand it, the Imuran works in the liver. With this in mind, why not go back to Cellcept, which works in the bone marrow? If I changed drugs, it might give my poor liver a bit of a rest.

Years ago, I was on Cellcept as it was a new fancy expensive drug, which worked to stabilize the lung disease, along with the prednisone. Medicare baulked at having to pay for it so I was prescribed the cheaper 1950s Imuran. It has done well but I was never expected to live this long thus the organ damage.

I will have this discussion with Dr. K. when I see her in mid-August.

Only lately I have realized that I am so tired because of the damage to my liver. Amazing what abuse it has taken due to the drugs. Thank goodness I have never been a person who had cocktails. I think it would be so much worse.

Last evening, I attended Winnie's end of year concert at a small venue in town. The entire school performed a song, a dance and on xylophones. It was fantastic to be around children again. Natalie has done wonders in one year.

Having been to the Oklahoma City area many times in our travels and we have actually been through Moore, we were horrified at the broadcast of the devastation. A school. A direct hit. This morning, the numbers of the dead were revised downward, a rare event. Apparently, there was a miscount.

I remember the feeling of not knowing if my child was injured or not when he was in a school bus accident. It turned out to be a minor accident but was broadcast as serious. I flew home from work as soon as I heard about it and found him at the district office waiting for me. The overwhelming feeling of relief as I held him was something I will never forget. As I watched the images of parents being reunited with their children, that feeling of total panic then relief reminded me of this incident.

Lives are changed forever. So very sad.

No comments: