Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Skin Checked and a Recipe

It all went well. The drive into and home from deep in the city and the actual meeting with the dermatologist went smoothly. It really was a 10-minute appointment. She said I looked good and only spotted a little blue mark in my hair line, which will be re-checked in three months. Thank goodness. She also told me that the basil cell carcinoma I still have bits of on my chest is VERY slow growing and not to worry.

Before the appointment, I went to the dermatology surgery department to see what was going on with my biopsy slides. Turned out they had been read and a report had been written. NO ONE PHONED ME. So, I made an appointment with the surgeon for a mandatory consultation before I can make an appointment to finally have the rest of the cancer removed. I will make the long drive back into the city on Monday for a 4:45PM appointment but it will be worth every minute to get the process moving towards completion. I just want the cancer to be removed.

My former student rescheduled our lunch to next Wednesday so I am going to the yoga hell class within the hour then spending the rest of the day with mom. Since her surgery on Friday, I have been in touch but haven't seen her. I need to run some errands and she wants to swing by a store and since I don't have orchestra tonight, I can spend the extra energy with her!

Michael is excited for dinner tonight. Years ago, I used to make homemade Gyros, even before we had them in a restaurant. It was his request for the week. I pulled the old recipe originally from Bon Appetit, bought the Tzatziki sauce from Trader Joe's instead of making it and will have it ready for dinner tonight.
Here is the basic recipe:

3/4 lb. ground lamb
1/4 lb. ground beef
1 cup fresh bread crumbs (I leave this out)
3 T. fresh minced parsley
1 large egg, beaten lightly
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 t. cumin

four 6-inch pita cut in half
12 Greek Olives, chopped
4 scallions, sliced thin

Combine first 7 ingredients. Salt and pepper. Form the mixture into the eight 4-inch logs and bake the logs in a baking pan in a preheated 375 degree oven for 15 minutes, or until they are cooked through, heating the pita rounds in foil in the oven for the last 5 minutes. Unwrap the pita rounds and arrange a meat log in each round. Spoon some of the sauce over the meat and add the olives and the scallions. Makes 8.

No comments: