Sunday, May 26, 2013

Surprise Night Out

The timing could not have been better. I awoke to rain. A light drizzle. After five hours working in the garden yesterday, I am thrilled that I didn't put it off until today and the grass is getting a good watering after its first post fertilizing cutting. The camellias, azaleas and rhododendrons have all been fertilized to set next year's blooms, new flowers have been planted in both the front and back gardens and I pulled out one section of a small hedge which had died, for which I have wounds. My poor arms. With the prednisone, my skin has become rather thin and delicate. Working is a small spot, on my knees under the front window boxes, I caused massive purple spots on my hand and two more spot up my arm. Rather ugly!

I really was not feeling well but the garden needed work. It was a struggle but I did it. Afterwards, I was going to take a shower, climb into my pajamas and go to bed early. Nope. Didn't happen. Instead, Michael phoned. Chuck, the owner of the restaurant right on the beach north of us, phoned to tell him about a band that was led by a fantastic saxophonist who was scheduled to perform last night. A must see.

At 7:00, we were both showered and dressed and in the car. We sat at the bar over looking the stage and dance floor, listened to music while watching the sunset. The band was REALLY good. I wish I could sing and play like them: just full out, from the guts, bluesy, sweet, soulful singing. Chuck bought drinks, sauteed calamari and an appetizer of hot goat cheese, Greek olives, sundried tomatoes and roasted garlic for us. Delicious.

I started chatting to a guy next to me as he was waiting for someone. He had only been there a few times so we had him try the calamari and suggested a few other selections. Finally his date arrive. Guess who? My yoga teacher!!!!! What a shock!!!!! We ended up talking music and discovered he was a classical pianist going to school to become a chiropractor. He wanted to know if I knew a good jazz piano teacher. Next time I see my glaucoma doctor, I will ask with whom he first studied and pass the name to my yoga teacher!

It was weird to see her in that setting. I introduced her to Michael, she learned that I am a classical bassist, I learned that she has been taking classical singing lessons and is learning Italian operas. Good for her! They took off and we were not far behind them. I was in bed by 9:30 and slept the night.

I plan to climb back into bed this morning to try to catch a bit more sleep. We are so looking forward to a quiet, slow day tomorrow.

No comments: