Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Facing the Surgeon

With Doctor's Week and the horrible air quality, the past two weeks did not include exercise and my body missed it. Yesterday, after a really hard workout, I felt terrific! So much energy! Shirts were ironed, dishwasher was emptied and I kept busy after I got home. Could not sit down.

I LOVE when that happens.

Sleeping well was also another side effect of exercise. It always surprises me how much better I feel after a good workout. We will be doing a lot of walking today then back to the rehab class tomorrow.

Mitch was at the class for the first time in many, many months. He had a terrible genetic liver disease, which caused a ILD to kick in. By the time he received a liver transplant, he was needing 10 liters of oxygen to function. What was so sad was that he had two of the sweetest young sons who clearly adored their dad.

It has been two years since the liver transplant and the ILD has receded so much that he was on NO supplemental oxygen! We had a great chat before the class and I watched as he worked out. The man did 15 hard minutes on the elliptical as fast as he could go. I can do about two minutes. And, not fast! It was marvelous to watch how far he has come physically. He is preparing to pass his physical to return full time to his job working for the county Sheriff's Department. The boys have their dad back.

The Irish Fiddling rehearsal was going to begin really late so I just popped over for a few minutes. One of our members discovered that her breast cancer had returned after ten years. She had shared that with me almost two weeks ago but wanted to tell the group when she was ready. It was yesterday. She sent an email with the details to the group, they immediately started making plans to help after her surgery next week, flowers were bought, cards were signed and they served cocktails to offer their love and support to our fellow bandmate. It was sweet. I am so lucky to be a part of the group of these very caring, lovely people.

Today. It is a big day for me. Michael is going with me and I am practicing my wordage. I am remembering all the management skills I had trying to manage a group of highly regarded, internationally known musicians. I am facing the surgeon who messed up ordering the tests for my acid reflux. We both agreed that the probable cause of the recent problem was either the Nissen Fundoplication or the hernia, caused during that surgery, right at the site. The tests he ordered never went near that area. He ordered two tests for my esophagus. Nope. Not there! Well, duh.

I fully expect him to say that there is no proof I have any acid reflux. Michael is primed to then mention that I have it 2-3 times a week even when I am careful with what I am eating. No green peppers, onions, hot sauce, dark chocolate, and so much more. So, doc, I have it and it is affecting my lungs. What are we going to do now?

It is going to be interesting. I will report back tomorrow.

No comments: