Sunday, October 22, 2017

Returning to the Ocean Walk

It was beautiful here on the coast yesterday. No wind. Mild temperatures. Just lovely. I decided to challenge myself to see if I could walk along the ocean bluffs. I have not been able to walk any distance and I really miss my walks.

So, after filling my oxygen tank, several good puffs of the inhaler, sniff in my nose spray, load down my pockets with Kleenex, garage door clicker, iPhone, drivers license and some cash, I grabbed the car keys and drove up the road. I wanted to walk along a specific path.

The ocean was stunning and I had forgotten how much I really loved to stand and just watch the waves make their way into the shore. I walked right along the shore on a road that was fighting not to fall into the ocean. It is lined with large boulders. Suddenly, I saw the top of a head below me. Typical tourist problem. They don't realize that the tide ebbs and flows. It was coming in so fast that the water was hitting the large boulders. The ocean was now taking over all of the beach. There was no safe place to walk. I climbed closer to see if the person was okay or needed help. It was then that he popped up near me, having climbed up the boulders with the waves chasing him.

We smiled at each other and walked closer. "I saw you and was worried," I said. He replied that he was so surprised that the tide had come in so fast but he got the shot he wanted. Seeing his camera around his neck, I smile and told him that he is lucky to be young and agile enough to climb the rock wall.

After a quick hug between strangers, we went our separate ways.

My goal was to walk along this road then onto a gorgeous flat path through a field, above the water with vistas of the harbor, the waves and the traffic (ugh!). I love this part of the walk. It is where I go after we return from a long road trip. It is home.

With the downturn of my breathing and the rehab of my fractured knee, would I be able to complete my walk? Coughing happened. I slowed down. I made it to a bench about halfway in the open field. Sitting, I took in the smells and the sound of the ocean and was once again reminded why I love this walk.

The walk back to the car was a challenge but I made it and felt better for it. I also slept like a baby last night.

No comments: