Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Evening Filled with Children

What a night! We had about thirty kids swing by for their goodies, which was not as many as usual. I loved the little kids who were just so excited about the whole experience about being out at night with mom and dad and getting candy, too!

Our sweet neighbors with very young Cora and Ella were the first to arrive. Even their mom was dressed up! We had special gift bags for them, including a few little toys. Cora's best friend and 7th grader Lily (who is Leslie daughter, the head of the Irish Fiddling group) came back with another group of friends. I love that Cora was hanging with the older girls under the strict supervision of Lily. What a great neighborhood where her parents were comfortable with that! It made me smile.

My favorite family arrived right on time for dinner. Natalie, Ethan, Winnie and Oliver all were in full costume and excited about the evening ahead. Oliver loved his mini hot dogs wrapped in crescent rolls while the rest of the family had my Italian Casserole and homemade applesauce. There were cookies for dessert. Winnie and Oliver also had gift bags of candy and small toys.

I have to say that I was stunned when I first spotted the kids. Having just seen them during the summer, I swear that each had grown a few inches and Oliver had matured so much since the beginning of school. It was fascinating to watch them both throughout the evening. Natalie and Ethan looked great, he is the final interview phase for a new job so our fingers are crossed for his success.

After they left around 9PM, I was not tired but energized. My soul was filled to the brim with all the conversations and just having kid interaction. I must admit that I fell into bed and slept like a rock, the first time in a few days.

Some sad news: I went to pick up Jeannie for the rehab class yesterday and she never came down to the car from her apartment. She lives in Senior Housing and there was no air conditioning during the fires and the 90+ temperatures. Her lungs crashed and she has not been able to recover. I phoned and she told me that the Hospice nurse was due to help with several issues. Hospice. It was hard for me to hear that but I saw how Hospice works when I was taking care of my aunt. It would help Jeannie so much in so many way that, in a way, I am happy that she is under their care. I will phone her today.

Other news: Mom. Her Mini Cooper would not go into gear and she was stuck in a parking lot. She had someone phone AAA, they couldn't get it going and had it towed. She tried phoning Michael with the tow truck driver's cell phone, he didn't recognize it and didn't answer. She phoned me after she got home, tired and hungry. She refuses to carry her burner cell phone as it is too heavy. We are going to have to talk about that. So, she has no car. I am going to meet her tomorrow morning, drive her to the mall to buy a birthday present for her buddy before they meet at a restaurant in the mall for lunch while I go to the rehab class. It is going to be a rough few days for her while the car is being fixed but it is a preamble to the time in the near future when she no longer can drive.

No comments: