Friday, January 27, 2012

Changes Ahead

Life is changing. It is in the air.

The Sutter Group that operates the two hospitals where I take the rehab classes and workout are making changes to their programs. They are insisting that two of the rehab classes merge which means a lot longer wait to check-in (blood pressure, heart rate and saturation) and to wait for availability of apparatus.

They are also closing the other rehab several times a year for holidays, which has never happened before. They were even opened Christmas morning. And there were a lot of people there. They are also demanding that the rehab staff increase their bookings by 10% which means more people and more cars trying to share a very small parking lot and a very small gym. Changes. Some are fighting it. I am happy to have both places available to me.

Our local orchestra will be performing Saturday evening. I think we are ready but I don't feel confident about this concert. Not a good feeling going into it. We have a new, young conductor with a different rehearsal style. Adjustments. Changes.

My mom is now investigating independent living places within 20 miles of my home. Cost is the main issue as well as proximity to doctors and hospitals. I am thrilled that she is moving closer to us and even happier that she will direct the sale of her house and distributing her possessions. It will be a lot of work but we will help her through the process. Changes.

Today I am meeting with Dr. M. to begin the conversation about cholesterol drugs. My liver doctor arranged the referral to Dr. M who also manages my thyroid disease. He was a former parent at my school. I adore not only him but his wife and two children. The liver doctor feels that my issue may be genetic as the dramatic weight loss did not decrease the number. He wants to deal with it now so it does not become an issue at the time of my lung transplant qualification process. I am bringing all my weekly menus going back almost a year for Dr. M.'s review and suggestions. I have a feeling we are going to begin a new drug. More drugs. I have also heard that this group of drugs are hard on the liver. More changes.

I am going to swing by the Chest Clinic before seeing Dr. M. today. They are on the same floor. I will let them know that I no longer use supplemental oxygen and need to arrange a sleep study to insure I don't need oxygen at night anymore. Imagine, no more oxygen equipment in my home. That would be a huge change.

Funny how January always brings changes. New year. New beginnings.

No comments: