Saturday, January 21, 2012

Januarys and Warren Buffett

January has always been a month when we make life changing decisions. We had our first date in January. We bought our two houses in January. I began two new jobs in January. Our son was born in January. I joined a group of women with small kids when William was young which enhanced our lives in January. I began the big diet last January. All life changing events.

I always look forward to seeing how the month unfolds.

This year, it started out with an amazing week of rest and relaxation. I had hoped that bode well for the entire year ahead! But, reality took hold. Within days of returning from the marvelous trip, I broke the oil pan in the car, we had a problem with our insurance company, we had a problem with our property taxes and I am still waiting for a problem to be fixed with my medications.

Problems. I hope that does not bode well for the entire year ahead!

What am I contemplating? It has always bothered me that the long term disability insurance which was part of my employment package was a scam. As my lawyer told us after reviewing the policy, every illness had a huge number of exemptions and exposed them to only 24 months of payouts. He said that he doubted that any policy paid out more than 24 months. It was sold as covering 2/3 of income until the ill person was 65-years old. This company is owned by Warren Buffett. Yes, the same man who feels he should pay more taxes.

I was thinking about calling one of our Senator's offices. Why are these policies allowed to be sold? They are not as they are purported to be. It is too late for me but other people are also be duped at this very moment.

The problem? Do I want this kind of exposure? Will Mr. Buffett come after us?

I don't know if I have the guts to take it all the way. Any comments or suggestions?

No comments: