Friday, February 21, 2020

Just a Bit of Blood, Please

In the package from my transplant hospital was another box, instruction sheet, a letter to me and a very large FedEx envelope.

What the heck?

The letter included instructions to take everything to my local hospital for a blood draw and drop it off at a FedEx store to be received before March 14th or I would be off the transplant list for a month.

What?

Apparently, while on the transplant list, a similar package will arrive every month and the exercise is to be repeated. If a set of lungs are a possible fit for me, they will use this blood for some testing.

Makes sense.

The process was interesting. The person drawing my blood really had to read the detailed instructions again and again to make sure she did everything as demanded. She opened the smaller cardboard box, which had a large screw-top vial in it settled into a cardboard mold. No movement allowed.

After reading everything and drawing the one vial of blood, she wrote the date and time on the enclosed label then stuck it onto the vial and re-wrapped a piece of bubble wrap around it. Then, she opened the large vial, removed more wrappers plus one that enclosed the blood vial in a small envelope then wrapped the excess around it. This was slipped into the large vial which was returned to the cardboard mold, the box was closed and slipped into the large FedEx bag.

It took a lot of time as we both wanted to do everything that was requested. Now I know both the tiny details and the process so I can help next month's draw.

No comments: