Sunday, October 25, 2009

My Love/Hate Relationship with Prednisone


Prednisone. It saved my life. It alone brought my DLCO up from 7.7 to 12. I can function. I have been on it since March 2005 mostly at a 20 mgs. dosage but it has increased several times to 40 mgs. when the disease has flared. During surgery this past February, I was on 100 mgs. That was fun!

It works but it is not without costs. I think the main complaint I hear about prednisone is that it causes a manic/depression cycle. In my case, I never saw the depression. I was manic. When I was on 40 mgs, the house and all of its projects were finished. I ironed sheets, for heaven’s sake! I was no fun to live with.

Weight gain: I often want the doctors who prescribe prednisone to have to take some so they understand what it feels like. It stimulates the thymus gland, which stimulates your hunger. Not just hunger but a HUNGER that if you don’t eat right now, you will die. I could eat a huge dinner and have no sensation of having eaten.

Every person I know gains weight on prednisone. And, of course, the doctors tell you that you have to lose weight. I gained 35 pounds the first time. Now, I am more aware of its problems and gain around 15 pounds every time the dose increases. Then, I have to lose it. Again.

Prednisone promotes hair growth in places never hairy before. With my new muscles and increased hair growth, my husband has begun to call me “Bruce.” I am waiting for my voice to lower!

Long-term prednisone users have jowls, a moonface, weight at the mid-section and a small hump at the base of the neck above the back. I have all of these.

In rehab, my heart rate is high because of prednisone. I also have thinning skin which bruises easily, developed glaucoma, have lost bone mass, horrible heartburn causing my lungs to flair, flushing of my face, increased sweating, muscle cramps in my legs and feet, a sensitivity to light, swelling in my feet and ankles, and tiredness.

New research has discovered that Restrictive Lung Disease people can reduce their levels of prednisone when combined with a drug that works with the bone marrow – Cellcept or Immuran. I have been on these drugs for almost two years and have slightly reduced the prednisone yet remained stable. The possible side effect, though, is cancer.

Another side effect has just showed up recently. I began to lose my hair in large hunks. Dr. K. told me that the drug has a cumulative affect and that I would eventually lose all my hair. As I am going to be on the bone marrow drugs for life, I will not have hair anymore.

Hairlessness is worth having stability with my lung disease.

Next: Co-Worker's Lawsuit

No comments: