Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Terrifying Dr. K.


In May 2005, we had focused on the portable building on the school campus as the cause of the exposure. I loved the school and didn’t want to panic the parents. The disease only affectes 1 out of 10 people exposed and the students spent only an hour in the room twice a week. I spent a minimum of ten hours a day in the building.

During the May appointment with the resident at the clinic, he interviewed me then came back with a doctor I had never met before. She was the new head of the clinic. She began by verbally dressing down the resident for not insisting to the school that I be immediately removed from the portable. She turned to me and said that I was never to set foot again into the portable. Never. She then turned to Michael and drilled him on my sleeping habits and noises. She left the room. We all looked at each other and I said, “Well, we all have just been spanked!” She was terrifying. I was used to dealing with famous people at the school and soon learned not to be intimidated by anyone. But, Dr. K. totally intimidated me.

The resident wrote the school to tell them that I was to be removed to another work area and not allowed into any portables on campus. The problem was a lack of space. My materials were still in the office and I had to go into the building several times a day to retrieve needed documents. It was frustrating.

As I worked through the summer of 2005, I was in the portable a lot. I was not feeling well yet still girded myself to begin the new year in mid-August. It was a surprise when I arrived at my mid-August appointment with the terrifying Dr. K – who was now my doctor – that this meeting would change my life. She would not allow me to return to work. I was devastated yet oddly relieved. The thought of another very busy year ahead had become overwhelming. I didn’t know where I would find the strength.

I had earlier complained about the weight increase due to the prednisone and she had ordered an exercise test to see if I was strong enough to exercise. During the test, my arterial blood gasses dropped to 59% at one point. She gave me permission to begin a Pulmonary Rehab program at a hospital closer to my home. I was not to exercise outside of this setting. She also ordered a sleep apnea test.

My beloved rehab began on August 23, 2005. It, too, has changed my life.

Next: An Emotional Break

No comments: