Sunday, January 17, 2010

I'm Baaaack

I love the fact that several of my doctors are former musicians or they are currently performing with groups. Good hand/eye coordination as well as good dexterity. Nice.

My dentist was a former oboe player in college but is currently an exceptional harpist. I have performed concerts with her and the small orchestra here on the coast and in private concerts. (Side myth about oboe players: In the old days it was believed that those who played the oboe eventually went insane due to the pressure for the double reed needing the jaw set in a certain way which put pressure on the brain. When I asked when she had quit the oboe, she whirled her dental drill and said, “Not soon enough!” followed by a maniacal laugh. Oh, those oboe players!)

She currently plays harp and sits on the board of our little local orchestra. I played with them for years and would fill in when needed but mostly I performed with a larger and more prestigious symphony orchestra. As my job at the school got bigger, I would miss rehearsals due to concerts at my school and other things. At one point, I found myself sight reading a concert. Not a good thing. I took a leave and never returned.

She called Friday afternoon. In the past, they had been paying a bass player who had to come 50 miles to play with them for the concerts. This is a tiny local orchestra with an even smaller budget. They just can no longer afford it.

The concert is in two week. January 30th.

She asked if I could re-join the orchestra, come to the next two rehearsals and play the concert. Now, I haven’t performed with an orchestra for over 5 years nor have I touched the instrument and my calluses are gone. My strength and stamina are not what they used to be. It is a big physical instrument.

Perform?!? After very little rehearsal?!?!?

Yes. I agreed to do it. I can do it.

It is a New Year.

I am back!

Next: Health Care

No comments: