Friday, January 8, 2010

Singing in Rehab


Did I mention that Dick cannot sing? If the music is not turned up in the rehab class, he will threaten to sing. When he begins, he is loud, off key and he always starts singing a Polish drinking song in Polish. It is a very subtle hint that the music needs to be louder.
The RN’s run to turn up the music the moment he begins. It is horrible to witness. People cover their ears.
One thing he and I have loved to do is sing along with “Under the Boardwalk.” I sang the verses from my treadmill while Dick across the gym just sang the words “Under the Boardwalk” loud and off key from his treadmill. Everyone joined in and laughed. Good way to start rehab.
Sometimes the TV is turned on with the sound off but with closed captions. It is usually a soap opera. I started to read the lines one day while on the bike. I got Sherman to begin to read the male dialogue but he got shy when people started to laugh.
There is a class for hospital personal in another room during our rehab class but they have to come through our gym to gather their weights, balls and mats. As they passed us by while we are doing our free weights, Sherman and I would begin to count out loud: 35, 36, 37, 38. They headed upstairs to park the equipment and passed by on the way out: 72, 73, 74. Some would comment, “WOW! You guys lift more that I do!” We just smiled.
Eventually, they caught on.
Every rehab class, the nurses ask during check in, “Do you have any pain?” I always reply, “Yes, Sherman.”
I have them all laughing.
Next: Booklet

1 comment:

Jill said...

Subtle? I don't think so! HeHe