Saturday, January 2, 2010

Helping Others



One of the most satisfying things that have happened to me is when I can use all my experiences to help someone else. A friend in the other rehab has a decades old relationship with a man who was recently diagnosed with stomach cancer. He was convinced that his life was over as, to him, cancer is a death sentence. How can he possibly survive with no stomach?
She asked if I would speak with him. A phone call was arranged. I began with a story I had heard on a local radio show where woman phoned whose mom sounded like she had lung cancer. The doctor said that cancer these days was no longer a death sentence and most are survivable.
We talked about living with little to no stomach. I told him about a parent at the school who is still alive many years after losing her entire stomach. I also reminded him about the gastric bypass people who survive on a very tiny stomach. One problem was that this man could not afford to lose any weight and his issue would be eating enough protein and staying hydrated.
We also talked about facing a bad diagnosis. So much of what I have written in these blogs was discussed. We talked well over an hour.
She told me a few days later that he was very hopeful and more positive after we spoke and even believed that he might beat the cancer. After the surgery, she shared that the cancer was so small, no chemo or radiation was necessary. They also left 1/3 of his stomach which was more than expected. He did lose twenty pounds but has regained seven. It is a beginning. All good news.
As he is recovering, he is making plans. He is now planning to use his lawyer skills to work for Legal Aid.
He has chosen to live well with a bad diagnosis.
A business acquaintance of Michael’s was struggling with his wife’s extensive Lyme’s Disease disabilities. It had gone to her brain and other organs and she had profound limitations. He arranged for us to speak with each other on the phone.
I was able to give her some Medicare and drug information. We realized during the conversation that we were very similar in our approach to our illnesses. I told her that she is welcome to call anytime, especially if she is having a hard day. Her husband thanked my husband and told him that she was feeling more hopeful after we spoke.
I felt that I helped both people, even if just a little bit.
Made my day.
Next: Dealing with the Front Office

No comments: