Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Winnie















In the spring of 2001, the Middle School music teacher took another position and the Lower School music teacher resigned and took back his resignation six times before the Head of the school let him go. I had to hire two new classroom music teachers.

Replacing the Middle School music teacher was easy. I interviewed many other teachers to replace the Lower School music teacher to no avail. I begged the current Middle School Music teacher, “You must know someone who is as wonderful as you are who can teach young children!”

Turns out, a friend of his was graduating from the Conservatory with a Masters in Voice the next week. An opera singer. He called, I called, and we met. I arranged a sample lesson to be taught to a group of children to choose between two candidates:

#1 taught a horrible lesson but the kids were totally enthralled and engaged with her.

#2 was a master teacher who sat on a chair, taught a great lesson and the kids were totally bored.

Candidate #1 was hired, as I would be able to direct her what specifically to teach. She already knew how to teach children. With that, wonderful Natalie came into my life. Little did I know the long-term ramifications of that hire.

She was smart, was an excellent singer and performer, had good musical chops, had amazing communication skills and had high expectations of the children’s abilities. She was and still is an extraordinary teacher.

So, beginning the 2001-2002 school year, our shared office included Jeannette as the Middle School teacher, Natalie as the Lower School teacher and me. We were an amazing team. The next two years were the most successful of my entire working career.

Both Natalie and Jeannette had strange medical things happen to them while working out of our office. Natalie had many series of low-grade fevers and had a rash all over her body. Even after a biopsy, the doctors didn’t know what it was. Jeannette had huge crepey looking, swollen bags under her eyes. She went to doctors but no one could help. After she left, they cleared right up.

After I left in September 2005, Natalie kept me informed about the physical building. She was very busy so I didn’t see her until her baby shower in October 2006. In early December 2006, she gave birth to Winona Rose, aka Winnie.

She stayed home for almost the entire school year so I would drop by on my way to my appointments at the hospital, which was just blocks away. It was the only place at that time where I did not talk or think about being sick. I wanted to hold a baby and think about life. We would talk about the school, the students, the baby and really avoided talking about me.

She only stayed another year at the school. She was hired by another school in a very part time position for a very nice income, and was able to be with her daughter. I would go up to the city and join them for a walk or lunch. It was a lovely time.

In January 2009, she and her husband bought a house in my little town. Winnie has brought pure joy into my life. Even Michael in enchanted with her. They come for a visit almost every Monday afternoon.

A few of the latest conversations with Winnie:

To me- “Are you an adult or a kid?” My answer, “I am an adult but I really want to be a kid. Is that okay?” She gave me a sideways look and a pause before responding, “Okay.”

Walking up to a glass door, she commented on her reflection: “There’s that Winnie again.”

She quotes herself: “I told mommy: Mommy, I want the door left opened.” Never heard a 2-year old quoting themselves using a different voice and everything. Hilarious.

She will go into William’s room to look for him. “Who’s mother are you?” she just asked a few weeks ago. I tried to explain that my son is as old as her dad but she doesn’t believe me. When I talk about him, she gives me a look that says she is not too sure he even exists.

What Winnie doesn’t know is that she is going to be an older sister in June.

More joy.

No comments: