Saturday, August 28, 2010

Dreaming of One Dreamgirl

What a night! We ran into a bit of traffic on our way to dinner at the Grand Café near the theatre to see Dreamgirls. Christien loved her salad of heirloom tomatoes followed by the fish special. I chose a wonderful special of a small chicken over gnocchi covered in an heirloom tomato sauce. We were even gifted with a box of cookies for intermission – Christien commented that the waiter was flirting with me!

We walked the half block to the theatre and arrived within five minutes of the curtain raising.

The musical was great. The wigs and costumes were magnificent. The actors were all wonderful.

When I was young, I learned to sing and expand my range by singing along to Broadway show albums. I had a good voice but an underdeveloped head voice. That changed when I began to sing with the choirs at the school, which really expand my range.

I could sing. I sang for lots of weddings and one funeral. It was fine.

But my inner secret is that I would give anything to sing like Aretha Franklin. I loved her as a teenager. I adored her as adult. I love her effortless vocal gymnastics. It is not only Aretha; it is that style of singing that I love. I also love to listen to a young Whitney Houston. What a voice. So sad it is gone. I always wanted to sing on an empty stage in a tight spotlight and sing like them. From my guts. From my soul.

I clearly do not have those chops. I clearly do not have that type of voice. Damn.

So, last night the musical was fine but there was a moment, which sent chills up and down my spine. I will never forget it or her.

Her name is Moya Angela. She played the role of Effie White, the Dreamgirl who could really sing but unfortunately did not look the part…the Jennifer Hudson role in the movie. Let me tell you, this woman can sing. I can’t imagine performing her role six shows a week.

Just before intermission, she had been thrown out of the group. The stage was cleared of everything. She came downstage, stood in the spotlight and sang the famous “And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going” wearing a simple shirt and slacks. But it was so much more than just singing. I have never seen anything like it in my life. She had the entire audience in the palm of her hand.

She took us on a ride with her. I really can’t describe it any better. People were on their feet before she was finished. I will remember her performance of that song forever.

Remember her name. Moya Angela.

No comments: