Monday, August 16, 2010

Rehab Class Update


Barbara came to the rehab class. We all greeted her but were rather surprised by her appearance. She was moving so poorly and actually had an assistant to help her walk as well as drive her to all of her appointments.

This is a woman who was so trim and active just two years ago and is now so heavy – due to the drugs – and depressed – due to the drugs – and is in such poor health. She is embarrassed by her appearance. We all told her we were happy to see her. So, she is back. Her doctor is insisting on it. We hope she continues to come to class. (She has fungus in her lungs, which continues to grow, which also makes it harder for her to breathe. Anti-fungal drugs are horrible and not working plus she is on a large dosage of prednisone.)

Sherman seems to be getting more and more healthy by the day. The sleep apnea is under control and he is feeling great. He is laughing a lot and just plain fun. I tend to forget that he is 85-years old. So young.

Dick is keeping us all fed. As is wife continues to not address her health issues, he heads to the kitchen and hauls out the pots and pans. Michael is in heaven.

Anne, the woman I talked about who kept standing me up at the other rehab, is back in the class after being gone for many months.

Doris, who she used to hang out with, is also back after being out for a couple of years. They are once again best friends. Both have depression issues so they spin each other out of control. I politely try to stay away from them. So negative.

Doris does not like me. “Why do you sweat so much?” she asked last Thursday. I replied that I want to sweat. If I don’t, I add time or speed to my workout. “I never sweat,” she said. I made no other comment but my inner voice said, “Maybe if you went faster than 1.5 miles per hour on the treadmill you might get a real workout!!!” Instead, I just smiled.

She usually makes those types of comments in front of a lot of people trying to embarrass me. When Sherman and I tease each other, she thinks I am picking on him and defends him to me. She doesn’t get it.

Sherman doesn’t like her either.

I try to be kind to her, as I know she has a lot of issues.

No comments: