Sunday, August 22, 2010

Romance and Trouble a'Brewin' in Rehab











Barbara came to rehab recently and gave Sherman a card. It was lovely. It was sweet to watch them greet each other with a little kiss. Clearly she is waiting for him to take the next step.

Apparently, Barbara had fallen down and was not allowed to stay to work out.

Sherman, Dick and I held a conference on the recumbent bikes and we told Sherman that he had to send a card to Barbara with an offer of coffee or stronger! We also suggested that if he didn’t, Dick and I would bring in a card and help him write it! We all laughed.

I worked out. Then I joined others waiting to be checked out. So, there we sat in a row waiting for our vitals to be taken and dismissed. Sherman, Kathy, Doris, and me.

Sherman is dismissed and takes off for home. Musical chairs. Amelia usually works the front two chair at a time so there is a lot of leap frogging into the seats.

While I was sitting next to Kathy, I told her to watch and that before we would be checked out, Doris was going to make some nasty comment to me.

Kathy is moved into the first chair, she is checked out and gone. I am now in the first chair with Doris next to me. I was talking with the beautiful Amelia, who was taking my vitals, and Dick about Sherman. We told Amelia that we threatened Sherman to send Barbara a card or we would! She said she loves to be a part of it as it is so lovely and sweet.

Not good enough for Doris. “What? What are you going to do?” I explained that were teasing Sherman that we would help him send a card to Barbara.

She replied, “If I were him, I would tell you to keep you damn nose out my business.” Nasty. I softly said, “You don’t understand our relationship.” And then she got agitated and screamed, “Oh yes, I do! Yes, I do! I have known Sherman a lot longer than you have and you have no right to involve yourself. I know him. I know him really well.”

This from a woman who has not been to rehab in almost 3 years.

So, in the lobby waiting for the next rehab class two days later, I explained to Sherman that he is in the middle of a controversy involving three women – Barbara, Doris and me! He laughed then said she knew him from the rehab class before I came but just barely.

As we waited for the class to begin, I was growing anxious knowing I was going to see her. She didn’t come to class. Absent.

So, my plan moving forward: to stay away from her.

If all else fails, I have planned a polite response in a polite tone to any of her comments: “I have noticed that you make a nasty comment to me every day in rehab. I don’t know if you realize what you are doing but please stop.”

I know it won’t stop her so I have backup.

The RN of the rehab class has told me if Doris doesn’t stop after my pointing it out to her, the RN will move her to a later time of arrival. That will take care of it all.

I swear I am back in high school.

No comments: