Thursday, October 3, 2013

From the Garden Back Into Life

I am sore and stiff this morning. Yesterday, I decided to challenge myself by weeding and trimming the side yard between Ron and us. It was an overwhelming task as it needed a lot of tending because of a tree. It was too big and we cut it down about 6 months ago. Since then, little pieces of the tree are sprouting along the roots far into the garden. I am finding them everywhere. Hundreds of sprouts. We need to get rid of the stump for it all to stop.

Much to my delight, Ron had trimming two bushes for me on the weekend. Had he not done that, there was no way I would have been able to get as much done yesterday. It was the nicest thing anyone has done for me in a long time.

So, I turned on some music and went to work. Three hours later, the garden waste container was filled, I was soaked with sweat and sporting two bandages. While crawling under a bush and reaching far into it, my arm hit something sharp and removed some skin in two places. It is ugly.

This morning, I feel every muscle from my hands and shoulders down to my butt and thighs. But,  I have accomplished something: a nice garden but also the knowledge that I am now strong enough to get back to working out.

Mom is better, she says, but I am skeptical. We are seeing the Immediate Care doctor again this morning and, if not better, she may have to go into the hospital.

No comments: