Thursday, August 4, 2011

Mom, Hospitals, Rehab and Visitors

Photo of fracture of the Iliac shown in the upper right part
of the hip bone.
Just briefly: My mom has been dealing with pain in her hip which had been growing in intensity. Several trips to doctors and ER departments kept revealing no problems just maybe a need for a hip replacement. Finally, she was unable to get out of bed on Tuesday morning. She called 911 and somehow was able to open the front door for the ambulance drivers.

After an x-ray in the ER, they discovered that she had a wing fracture of the Iliac - a broken pelvis. Odd. It is the break they normally see after a car accident. Nothing they can do; no surgery, no cast. Though she is 100 miles away, I was able to get to her before she was admitted and spent the last two days with her in the hospital.

I think I have moved half of her belongings into her room. Makeup, hair things, files, books, Rolodex, appointment book....We will need a crate to move it all on Friday.

Yesterday, they continued to make sure she had plenty of pain pills in her body before the physical therapists arrived at her bedside. It was rather remarkable that she was able to get up and stand and even walked with the help of a walker. Amazing. They recommended that she is not mobile enough to go home for outpatient rehab but needed to be an inpatient.

The wonderful RNs gave me a list of things that she will need at rehab - shoes, socks, underwear, clothing. I have them all packed in the trunk of my car. While I was in her house, I also washed down her new white tiles that lead to her kitchen and bedroom which had big dirty shoe marks from the ambulance people. I am not complaining but I know that she would be on her hands and knees to clean it all up the moment she would get home from rehab.

On Friday, she will be moved to a rehab center very close to her home. I am going to visit my friend Barbara early in the morning then head the 100 miles back to the hospital. Hopefully, I will arrive before mom is transferred to rehab.

The other good news is that Michael took Tuesday off from work to spend the time with our visitors - his sister Anna, her daughter April and 4-year old Steven. They had a ball at the tide pools and their visit to Apple Computer Headquarters. While April took Steven swimming and a nap, it was an opportunity for Michael and his sister to spend some time together. Alone. Without me. They both enjoyed themselves and got to know each other a bit better. All good.

No comments: