Saturday, January 22, 2011

Clean Environment

My interstitial lung disease, Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis, is caused by a long-term exposure to an antigen in mold, fungus or organic dust. It is the organic dust that “done me in.” I am very aware that it is important for me to live in a very clean environment. When I began to have a problem inhaling, Michael changed the clean air filters in the car that I drove every day. It was not expensive. Although that ended up not causing my disease, the breathing of clean air is good for me now.

After the lawsuits, we learned that we could install a hepa filter onto the furnace so all the vents expel clean air. Done. Not expensive. Again, not the cause of my disease but insures that I am in the cleanest environment possible.

Michael now is questioning the wearing of shoes in our house. I think he might be right in the suggestion that we are bringing unnecessary dirt into our environment. We won’t ask others to remove their shoes but we now have an agreement to remove our shoes when we arrive home from our adventures out in the world.

And again, the moment we are home, we wash our hands. I think that has been the most important thing we can do to keep our environment clean.

These are all little things that might add up to living a bit longer with a good quality of life.

No comments: