Monday, January 17, 2011

Eating Out - Low Carb

I was nervous about eating in a restaurant with my dietary limitations. We were supposed to celebrate New Year’s Eve at Chez Papa but they booked up so we cancelled those plans. Dodged that bullet. We do not eat out too often as I am concerned that the person touching my food can’t afford to stay home if they are ill. With no immune system, I can become ill that easily.

I was worried that I would not be able to find food that I can eat. I was worried that something banned from my diet won’t be listed on the menu and arrive on the food.

My life is vegetables and lean protein. Salads? Mayo dressing is fine….I should be able to find something.

But, I know that I need to get over this and try. Worst thing that could happen is that I eat a horrible meal of a piece of protein. The world won’t end.

So, we have been eating out more. It was so scary at first but I have learned to ask for exactly what I want. Example: We just had lunch at the pro shop restaurant at the Ritz. I asked for their appetizer of small lamb chops but asked for them to be served on a bed of greens instead of a chutney of apples and onions. Can't have fruit.

I am learning not to be afraid. There has to be something I can eat on every menu. I am still a bit nervous about Mexican and Chinese food. Those will be a challenge I will face down the road.

I am feeling good and have lost some weight. Clothes are looser. I have a meeting with the nutritionist at the end of the month. The weigh-in will happen. Fantasy would be losing 17 pounds. Reality is probably the loss of 12 pounds. We'll see.

No comments: