Sunday, January 30, 2011

Diet for Those of Us on Prednisone

Sitting in the nutritionist's waiting room last week, I observed morbidly obese people being seen before me. During my appointment, I conveyed the latest information about my benign fatty liver to Mr. B. He told me that people who are scheduled for gastric bypass have to lose weight before the surgery. The reason is that any weight loss reduces the size of the liver and makes the stomach more accessible. He also told me that just the weight loss I had last month was significant enough to reduce the size of my liver. That is a good thing!

Prednisone. I hate it. It saved my life. I am stable. As all people on the drug long-term will attest, there is likely a major weight gain due to the drug. It gives the sensation of never being sated. Never full. Always hungry.

With the frightening weight gain of 35 pounds for me, comes even more difficulty breathing. In the end, somehow, I must lose the weight because the need to weigh under 30 BMI to begin the process for lung transplants. In the end, I will probably lose a total of 70 pounds and weigh less than I have ever weighed as an adult. It will put me under 30 BMI by approximately 35 pounds. Breathing room!

We who have been on prednisone for many years, no longer process food normally. Prednisone really screws up how sugars are processed. Carbs are not processed normally as prednisone makes us hold lots of fluid and turns those carbs into fat. Lots of fat. Belly fat.

So, my diet changed when I saw the nutritionist last month who shared the secret of weight lost for us. No carbs. No fruit. No milk or yogurt. No grains.

Magically, I have lost over 10 pounds in four weeks. What have I eaten? Mostly homemade vegetable soup, celery and peanut butter or smoked salmon for breakfast; sauerkraut with no-carb mini chicken sausages, raw veggies or cabbage with the proper dressing with lean protein such as turkey or chicken or tuna for lunch; and veggies and lean protein for dinner. Lots of vegetables.

I keep scouring web sites for recipes but most of the low carb ones include lots of cheese and cream. Not good as I still need to keep my calories under 1,200 per day. I have found a few like Ancho Macho Chili, which is dynamite. Thank you Atkins! Here is the recipe:

If you are on prednisone and struggling with your weight, talk to your doctor about trying a low carb, low fat diet. It will help. I promise.

No comments: