Sunday, January 23, 2011

Suddenly Sociable

We were so sociable last week. Michael had the amazing experience of having dinner at Gary Danko’s in San Francisco. It is considered the best restaurant in a city full of very excellent restaurants. It takes two months to get reservation date. We have eaten there and it was an experience. He brought his two new bosses, his friend Ricky and the twin with him. Unfortunately, they all are very unsophisticated eaters.

Four days before the dinner, I copied the menu from the web site for Michael to show to his dinner companions. I thought it would be better for them to be able to study it beforehand so they are not shocked that they don’t offer steak and fries. They don’t.

Here is the menu: http://www.garydanko.com/site/menu.html

They had a great experience and the other guys “got it.” This was no normal dining experience. It was like a choreographed dance. Everyone tasted each other’s dishes including Michael foie gras. It was everyone’s first taste ever. I think the dinner opened up the eyes of the other four people. It was a first for Michael as well as he tried the pork belly, which he said, just melted in his mouth. They have been talking about their experiences every day since. A truly memorable evening.

Saturday night found us at a bourbon tasting. I think I was brought along as the designated driver, which was greatly needed, by the way. I was not looking forward to the event. I had never met the people there nor did they know that I am sick. Tough for me to walk into that situation. I was also concerned that there would be nothing there for me to eat. I planned to be hungry and drink water all night.

Funny how silly things help me in those situations. I bought a new pair of shoes. While buying new running shoes last week, I bumped into a cute pair of black shoes with very high heels and a cute bow made from a simple floppy ribbon. Last pair. 30% off. My size. Fate. 

Along with the recent weight loss, these shoes made me more confident and excited to wear them for the first time.

It was a really nice evening. They lived in an area of very unique small house that have all been beautifully maintained. As we were get out of our car, one of their neighbors and I looked at each other and, oh my, it was a former teacher from the school where I got sick. I had not seen her in five years. Fun!

Besides the hosts Larry and Shana, his cousin and her husband were there and Michael’s friend Mikie came alone but with a huge bouquet of flowers. They had six shot glasses of six different bourbons already lined up ready for tasting. It took awhile to sample and rank each bourbon and food was served to help keep everyone’s from getting too carried away. They offered steak and chicken without a sauce and lots of vegetable. Perfect!

All the bourbons were rated then the rankings were compared which was both interesting and fun. Michael really enjoyed the experience. 

We chatted for hours, got home at 11:30. It was a really fun evening and I did not talk about being ill once. Lovely.

No comments: